Executive Skills Coaching Training
Executive skills are the skills that allow people to engage in goal-directed behavior. Many students seem to have high understanding of content and yet struggle to finish a test without getting distracted or to turn in their homework or to follow the steps of a long-term project. These are students who may not need tutoring per se, but still seem to need some type of intervention. Studies have shown that students who receive executive skills coaching (sometimes also called ADHD coaching or academic skills coaching) can show an increase in their ability to plan, organize and engage in other goal-directed activities.
Details of Our Program
This 3-week (12-hour) workshop is set up to teach participants the fundamentals of executive skills coaching. This coaching model can be use in schools by educators, by private tutors or coaches, and even by parents to help students learn the processes and skills that allow them to work toward their goals.
In this class participants will:
- Define executive function skills and learn how these skills affect students
- Learn to recognize executive function deficits in students
- Learn to help students understand their executive function profile—both strengths and weaknesses
- Understand the coaching model and how it can lead to strength-based support for students
- Learn to utilize the coaching model in a weekly or daily format
- Learn how the coaching model gets students to engage in goal-directed behavior
- Learn to build and fade supports as appropriate for individual students
- Learn positive ways to define and discuss executive skill deficits, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder and other conditions that may lead to executive skill deficits.
- Learn to track student progress to encourage personal accountability
- Learn how to help students build a support team of parents, educators, friends, and outside professionals to work toward their goals.
- Build model supports for future use with student
- Learn how to continue
- 4 hours of video training,
- 8 hours live training and engagement with the master coach.
- Textbook “Coaching Students with Executive Skills Deficits” Peg Dawson and Richard Guare
- Supplemental worksheets and digital resources
Dates of Program
August 3, 5 (pre-recorded videos can be watched anytime during your week)
August 10, 12, 17, 19 (live zoom classroom)
$300 per participant $250 if registered before June 30th
The SAT prep course has been suspended due to the Coronavirus until further notice.
Parent Workshop Series
Check back on our schedule of workshops covering topics “How to help your student with Homework”, “assistive technology for your middle and high schooler”, “The Road to college process: What freshman should be doing now”, “Executive Skills: what are they, when do they develop, and w can I nurture their development?”…more to be added.